Cultural Heritage, Politics, and War in the Middle East
Institution Where Taught
University of Pennsylvania
Web Address (URL)
Political upheaval in the Middle East has brought cultural heritage studies to the forefront. From playing a role in the making of national identity and economy of Middle Eastern countries to falling prey to armed conflicts, cultural heritage remains an important element of the political and social scene. This seminar will examine the relatedness of cultural heritage to questions of identity and politics in the Middle East, and the impact of recent wars on such heritage.
Course description provided by the Penn Cultural Heritage Center. Please contact instructor for further information.
Additional tags: Middle East; conflict; cultural heritage; identity; politics; economy
RPA Codes & Standards
Keywords & Terms
- Armed Conflict and Violence
- Management of Cultural Resources, Heritage, History
- Preservation of Archaeological Resources
- Protection and Non-Disclosure of Archaeological Sites
- Respect for and Responsibility to Affected Groups