Archaeology and the Ethics of Collecting
Chase, Arlen F. and Chase, Diane Z. and Topsey, Harriot W.
Year of Publication
56, 58-60, 87
Web Address (URL)
This is an essay in Archaeology, a publication of the Archaeological Institute of America. The piece provides a historical overview of the stance taken by discipline of archaeology against the looting, collecting, and illicit trade of artifacts and antiquities.
RPA Codes & Standards
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Colleagues, Employees, and Students
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to the Public
- Integrity of Research Methodology
Keywords & Terms
- Avoid, Discourage, and Report Unethical and Illegal Activity
- Looting, Collecting, and Illicit Trade of Cultural Property
- Management of Cultural Resources, Heritage, History
- Museum, Collection, Curation and Display Standards
- Standards of Data Collection, Recordation, Analysis