Transforming Archaeology: Activist Practices and Prospects
Atalay, Sonya and Clauss, Lee Rains and McGuire, Randall H. and Welch, John R.
Year of Publication
Left Coast Press, Inc.
Walnut Creek, CA
Also published in 2016 by Routledge.
Transforming archaeology / Sonya Atalay, Lee Rains Clauss, Randall H. McGuire and John R. Welch
Betwixt and between: archaeology's liminality and activism's transformative promise / Lee Rains Clauss
Engaging archaeology: positivism, objectivity and rigor in activist archaeology / Sonya Atalay
Situating activism in archaeology: science mission, activist affect, and the archaeological record / Quetzil Castañeda
"We have met the enemy and he is us": transforming archaeology through sustainable design / John R. Welch and Neal Ferris
Working class archaeology / Randall H. McGuire
Reconciling inequalities in archaeological practice and heritage research / George Nicholas
Transforming the terms of engagement between archaeologists and communities: a view from the Maya region / Patricia A. McAnany
From the bottom up: transforming communities with public archaeology / M. Jay Stottman
Activating archaeology / K. Anne Pyburn
Beyond archaeological agendas: in the service of a sustainable archaeology / Neal Ferris and John R. Welch
Archaeologists as activists, advocates, and expert witnesses / T.J. Ferguson.
RPA Codes & Standards
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Colleagues, Employees, and Students
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to the Public
Keywords & Terms
- Consultation/Partnership with Affected Groups
- Consultation/Partnership with Indigenous Peoples
- Environmental Impact and Issues
- Equity and Representation; Discrimination and Harassment
- Impact on Communities - Local, Descendant, etc.
- Indigenous, Tribal, Aboriginal Rights
- Public Interest, Collaboration, Education, and Outreach
- Respect for and Responsibility to Affected Groups