One Spreadsheet Reveals the Horrifying Ubiquity of Sexual Harassment in Academia
Knowledge is Power
Goldhill, Olivia and Slobin, Sarah
Month of Post Publication
Year of Post Publication
Web Address (URL)
Type of Source
University, Sexual Harassment, #metoo, Academia, Yale University
Supposedly liberal universities have allowed sexual harassment to flourish.
Sexual harassment, as women know, is both endemic and widely dismissed. The same patriarchal imbalance of power that allows harassment to occur also silences those who do speak out.
In the wake of #MeToo, women from within various fields have come together to share their stories collectively. The media industry created the “shitty media men” spreadsheet, and now there’s a public spreadsheet that chronicles the extent of sexual harassment in academia. The document, created on Dec. 1, has gained more than 1,600 entries in less than a fortnight.
RPA Codes & Standards
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Colleagues, Employees, and Students
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Employers and Clients
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to the Public
- Principle 1: Adherence to ethical and responsible behaviour in archaeological affairs
- Principle 5: Recognition of aspirations of employees, colleagues and helpers in all matters of employment
Keywords & Terms
- Professional Relationships and Communication
- Standards of Training and Student/Teacher Responsibilities