The Ethics of Anthropology and Amerindian Research: Reporting on Environmental Degradation and Warfare
Chacon, Richard J. and Mendoza, Rubén G.
Year of Publication
Springer-Verlag New York
New York, NY
Web Address (URL)
Introduction / Chacon, Richard J. et al
Ethical and Political Ramifications of the Reporting/Non-Reporting of Native American Ritualized Violence / Cobb, Charles R. et al.
The Portrayal of Native American Violence and Warfare: Who Speaks for the Past? / Dye, David H. et al.
Catawba Indians’ Adaptive Response to Colonialism / Bauer, Brooke
Maya Hunting Sustainability: Perspectives from Past and Present / Emery, Kitty F. et al.
Sympathetic Ethnocentrism, Repression, and Auto-repression of Q’eqchi’ Maya Blood Sacrifice / Demarest, Arthur A. et al.
Relativism, Revisionism, Aboriginalism, and Emic/Etic Truth: The Case Study of Apocalypto / Hansen, Richard D.
Mythologies of Conquest / Mendoza, Rubén G. et al.
Imagining Human Alteration of Ancient Landscapes in Central and South America / Hoopes, John W.
Overstating, Downplaying, and Denying Indigenous Conquest Warfare in Pre-Hispanic Empires of the Andes / Ogburn, Dennis E.
Violence, Indigeneity, and Archaeological Interpretation in the Central Andes / Arkush, Elizabeth
Conservation or Resource Maximization? Analyzing Subsistence Hunting Among the Achuar (Shiwiar) of Ecuador / Chacon, Richard J.
The Studied Avoidance of War as an Instrument of Political Evolution / Carneiro, Robert L.
Medical Ramifications of Failing to Acknowledge Amerindian Warfare, Violence, Social Inequality, and Cultural Enigmas / Walden, John
Ancestral Pueblos and Modern Diatribes: An Interview with Antonio Chavarria of Santa Clara Pueblo, Curator of Ethnology, Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Santa Fe, New Mexico / Chavarria, Antonio et al.
Indigenous Peoples and Environmental Degradation: An Indigenous Perspective / Esquit-Choy, Alberto
The Logic of Indigenous Voice / Oakes, M. Gregory
Discussion and Conclusions / Chacon, Richard J. et al.
RPA Codes & Standards
- Adequate Preparation for Research Projects
- Appropriate Dissemination of Research
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Colleagues, Employees, and Students
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to the Public
- Integrity of Research Methodology
Keywords & Terms
- Adequate and Responsible Reporting, Publication, and Dissemination
- Consultation/Partnership with Affected Groups
- Consultation/Partnership with Indigenous Peoples
- Do No Harm
- Environmental Impact and Issues
- Impact on Communities - Local, Descendant, etc.
- Indigenous, Tribal, Aboriginal Rights
- Integrity of Research Methodology and Field Procedures
- Professional Standards
- Respect for and Responsibility to Affected Groups