Treasure Hunting: Who Owns the World
Bass, George F.
Year of Post Publication
Web Address (URL)
Type of Source
The Men Who Sold the Stars
In 1979, Peter Stanford, editor of Sea History asked George Bass if he would write an article on the difference between archaeology and treasure hunting. Bass began a letter of response, and in the middle began to turn the letter into a short story to make his point. Since Sea History, that part of his letter has now been published in several other American and Dutch magazines as "The Men Who Stole the Stars." Except for substituting the word "stars" for "shipwrecks," everything in the story is based on fact.
RPA Codes & Standards
- Appropriate Dissemination of Research
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to Colleagues, Employees, and Students
- Archaeologist's Responsibility to the Public
Keywords & Terms
- Adequate and Responsible Reporting, Publication, and Dissemination
- Avoid, Discourage, and Report Unethical and Illegal Activity
- General Archaeological Ethics